This black sesame matcha banana bread is a fun twist on classic banana bread. Made with half the butter and sugar but all of the flavor.
Disclaimer: Matcha Love provided me with three of their matcha teas to sample, review and bake with. All opinions are, as always, 100% my own.
Ever since Matcha Love sent me their incredible culinary matcha powder, I’ve been obsessed with all things matcha. OBSESSED. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll see that every single morning I drink an enormous matcha latte that I annoyingly show on my insta stories. It’s literally the greatest part of my morning and I’m intensely sad when it’s gone. It’s kind of pathetic.
The obvious solution, aside from making another enormous latte, is to continue baking all the things with it. When the white chocolate matcha cookies from last week were gone, I immediately got to making this black sesame matcha banana bread. I know it sounds like an odd combination of ingredients but just trust me. It works. So well.
I’m a huge fan of all things sesame and honestly only decided to use black sesame seeds because I wanted the striking contrast to the green matcha but then I learned about how black sesame seeds are even more nutritious than their white counterparts and that just sealed the deal. Bring on black sesame everything! (That’ll seriously probably happen because I’m me and I’m a phase eater).
I took my healthy banana bread recipe that I usually make once a week, swapped out the chocolate for black sesame seeds, replaced some of the flour with matcha powder and used all cane sugar instead of adding maple syrup. I also added an extra dash of vanilla because matcha+vanilla=life.
I’ll be honest- it doesn’t bake up beautiful like the raw batter is. Really it’s more of a nasty brownish greenish looking loaf but what matters is how very delicious it is. So very delicious.
Cheers guys! If you make it, take a picture and tag it #thepretendbaker on instagram so I can see your results!
- 2 TBSP melted butter
- 5 TBSP cane sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ¾ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ C mashed banana from 1 large overripe banana
- ¾ C less 2 tsp all purpose flour
- 2 tsp culinary matcha powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 TBSP + 1 tsp black sesame seeds, divided
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour a mini/small loaf pan (mine was 5.8x3.2x1.8 from bakers secret).
- In a medium bowl, combine melted butter and sugar and whisk vigorously until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and whisk until light and creamy.
- Add the banana and whisk again until completely combined.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, matcha powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter/banana mixture and gently whisk until just combined. Take care not to over mix.
- Fold in 1 TBSP black sesame seeds and pour in to prepared loaf pan.
- Top with remaining 1 tsp black sesame seeds and bake on the center rack of your oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store on the counter wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.