WOOOOORDS! Where are you?!
I can’t find you. I can find brownies, cookies, rice krispie squares and the most amazingest dark chocolate skyr cheesecakes in my fridge (yes. I made more breakfast cheesecakes. Yes, the recipe is coming to you asap AND YES I inhaled it within 3 seconds of waking up this morning).
I’ve been alone a lot since Friday. Legit, I hadn’t said a single word outloud on Friday from 8am until 4pm. When I finally uttered a word (It was “Sorry” <—how very Canadian) at the grocery store and I was actually thrown by my own voice. Legitimately shocked to the point where I jumped ever so slightly. And then I laughed… in my head… about how silly it was that my own voice scared me.
Mark and I went out for dinner Friday to one of my favorite restaurants that we hadn’t been to in over a year which was AWESOME but then most of Saturday I was alone and all day yesterday except for like 3 hours of seeing Mark I was alone. I walked for an hour in the rain to and from bus stops and to and from stores to run errands and to just be around other human beings in the real world for a while and for a break from computer work.
None of this has anything to do with brown butter vanilla bean rice krispie squares except for the fact that with all of my alone time, I’ve been baking a shit ton of things and taking more time to cook full meals and things for this little space on the internet that makes my heart happy. It’s never really a bad way to spend time but I’m 100% dying for my girl’s night on Friday with the beautiful Rebecca from Nourished. The Blog. It is so very needed.
These brown butter vanilla bean rice krispie squares were needed last week when I made them. Actually, I’d been dying for them for weeks before I got around to finally do it which happens on the regular and I figured it was the perfect time to make them when it was rainy and miserable outside and my kitchen was warm and inviting.
I’m fully aware that we really don’t need a recipe for rice krispie squares. They’ve been around for forever and a day and there are a million different variations on the interwebs and you don’t need my contribution. I get it. I needed these, though, so you’re getting them anyway. No, they weren’t made with vanilla beans or brown butter when I was a kid and yes, vanilla beans are the most expensive thing ever (not really but they ARE stupidly expensive for what you get) but it’s just what my soul needed. I needed something to remind me of my childhood and bring warm and fuzzy feelings to my heart so that’s what I did.
They’re basic and awesome and they never fail to bring back the joy of childhood even if only for a short moment.
I’m off to make some sort of blue cheese/bacon/spring onion potato salad for your eating pleasure (and mine) and like 2348972349723 other things on my list. Cheers guys!
- 10 cups of mini marshmallows
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out**
- 6 TBSP of unsalted butter + more for greasing
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 cups of rice krispies (I used a no name brand)
- Grease a 9x13 pan with butter and set aside.
- In a medium/large pan, heat the butter over high heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until butter foams and then browns. Be very careful and do not walk away from the stove. Butter burns very quickly if left unattended. Once the butter starts smelling nutty, it's done.
- Immediately add 8 cups of the marshmallows and the beans from the vanilla beans. Reduce the heat to medium and stir constantly until the marshmallows have completely melted. Add ¼ tsp salt and stir to combine.
- Add remaining marshmallows, stir and then add the rice krispies (or no name). Remove from heat and stir until completely combined.
- Scrape mixture in to prepared pan and grease your hands with lots of butter to gently press the mixture to fit in to the pan. Allow to set for 20-30 minutes then cut in to squares.
- Allow to cool completely then store in an airtight container.
I have like... 6 old vanilla bean pods in a jar with sugar and it's wonderful.