How was everyone’s weekends? Hopefully it was full of beautiful spring weather, good food, good friends and laughter like ours was. This weekend we finally got to fully embrace the very best aspect of moving in to this house- the incredible nature that we overlook from our deck while we sit in the sun and listen to an endless amount of different cheerful birds/creatures while the river swooshes by.
Our very handy a very good friend stayed with us for the weekend to help Mark put together the chairs and fire up the bbq for the first time. We had some crumbled burger mishaps, a splinter here and there and a few parts screwed in to the wrong place but it all ended perfectly with us sitting outside in our pyjamas soaking in the morning sun. It was everything.
Mark has been asking me to make pulled pork for 3 years so this weekend I decided to use up the last two pork tenderloins we had in the freezer to make a big batch that we could easily use all weekend and throughout this week. While pulled pork is pretty much never made from pork tenderloin, I decided it was easier (and better for the budget) to just use what we had on hand instead of going to seek out the right cut.
All you do is add 1 1/2 cups of your favourite bbq sauce to your slow cooker, add in 1 TBSP of worchestershire (can you say it properly? Mark is always correcting me…), 2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar and a good sprinkling of salt and fresh cracked pepper. I ended up also adding in about 1/4 C of water but you could use broth. Turn the slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours and you have perfectly tender, shredded, fall apart pulled pork for a fraction of the cost of going out.
We’re putting it on all the things. On pizza, in sweet potatoes, simply in a heap with some mustard, veggies and cheese or on a ciabatta bun with melty cheese. All of them are delicious.
Grab your ingredients today, throw it all together in the morning tomorrow and when you get home you’ll have pulled pork for dayssss to use as you wish.
- 2 pork tenderloins, about 2-2.5 pounds
- 1½ C your favorite bbq sauce
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP worchestershire sauce
- ¼ C water or broth
- salt and pepper
- Season your tenderloins with salt and pepper.
- Mix the liquid ingredients in your slow cooker then add the tenderloins. Toss to coat in the sauce. Cover and set the temperature to low. Cook for 3-4 hours,
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker to a plate. Shred with 2 forks then place back in the sauce. Toss to evenly coat all pieces. If eating later, set your slow cooker to warm.
- Enjoy with sweet potatoes, on pizza, in sandwiches or with cornbread and veggies.