Sweet potato egg in a hole seemed appropriate but I really just wanted to call it ‘How to use leftover mashed sweet potatoes and other leftovers in your fridge to make an amazing each lunch/dinner in 10 minutes.’
But that was too long.
So sweet potato egg in a hole it was. That’s probably also better for that whole SEO thing that bloggers worry about anyway so I feel like I made a good choice.
Also, if you look hard enough, in the photo above you can see me squinting in to my camera taking the picture. So cute. Love those reflective surfaces.
This recipe though. It’s so good and well, not really a recipe. It’s more an idea of sorts. An idea for what to do with your leftover mashed sweet potatoes if you happened to have enough restraint to not just shove what was left of your buttery mashed sweets in your face after dinner/at dinner/at midnight and you still happened to have them around for your next meal time. To be fair, for this, you’d also have to have leftovers of my taco rice bowls BUT BUT BUT, the beauty is you don’t have to follow it exactly.
This is just an idea.
Whatever meats/proteins/whatever tastes good with sweet potatoes and butter (everything) you can put in/next to this. Basically you just need to have mashed sweets and an egg. And probably some asiago or parm or some other cheese because cheese.
I made this yesterday when I was have a really bad time with my pelvic pain and just could not deal with thinking about what to make/eat for lunch. I knew I was going out for dinner to celebrate my sister-in-law’s birthday so that was taken care of but lunch? I just couldn’t be bothered. Then, THEN! I had this idea. First it was just going to be the sweets and egg with some veggies, then I saw the leftover taco bowl stuff in the fridge and knew it needed eating so I thought it was perfect to add it in. It was.
Once it was all warmed through, I remembered the Asiago in the fridge and topped it with lots and then took pictures because that’s what food bloggers do. They take pictures of their food and then they have to eat lukewarm/cold food.
I proceeded to add some steamed cauliflower to my skillet and then I inhaled the whole thing in like 5 minutes. I was really full. For a really long time. It was glorious. You should definitely do it, too. But maybe skip the photo shoot and just eat it right away in all it’s warm, cozy, buttery and cheesy glory.
OHOHOHOH I also added some leftover yogurt+sour cream+lime zest+lime juice mixture that I had from the night before. It was a good decision.
- Leftover mashed sweet potatoes
- an egg
- leftover taco filling/whatever leftover protein you want to add
- asiago cheese
- Pop your leftover mashed sweet potatoes in a skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Stir until warmed through. Create a hole in the middle of the sweet potato, add some butter and crack an egg in the middle. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a little but of water to the skillet and cover with a lid. Allow it to cook until the egg white are cooked and the yolk is done to your liking- 6-8 minutes.
- If you're adding extra protein/veggies, warm them up while your egg is cooking.
- Once the egg is cooked, slide your extras in to the skillet and cover with cheese. Season to taste. Maybe add some sour cream/yogurt or whatever sauce goes with your protein choice. EAT!