Carbs, butter and salt are basically everything I need in life.
Plus my husband, I suppose.
Mostly the carbs and butter, though.
I could eat buttered bread all day and night if I wouldn’t end up with some sort of nutrient deficiency eventually. So, these easy buttery dinner rolls will be served alongside things like chilli (like tonight), soup and, well, any meal we have over the next few days.
Buttery carbs. Yep, that’s all I need right now.
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2-2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp soft butter
- 2.5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter, to brush the rolls
- Add yeast and 1 tsp sugar to warm (not hot!) milk. Stir to dissolve and allow to proof for 5 minutes. Once the yeast is bubbly, it is ready. Note: if your yeast does not bubble, it is dead. Discard and start over.
- Add the yeast to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, soft butter, salt and toss to combine, breaking up the butter in to the flour with your fingers.
- Add the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- Dump the mixture out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes or until smooth an elastic. Dough should still be slightly tacky. If the dough is sticking to the counter, add extra flour as needed, in small amounts, taking care not to add too much.
- Grease a clean bowl with butter, cover lightly with plastic wrap and place in a warm environment until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Dump the dough out on to the counter, divide in to 12 pieces and roll each piece in to a ball.
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish with butter and place the rolls in the dish.
- Cover once again with plastic wrap and place in a warm environment to rise for 1 hour.
- When there is 20 minutes left rising time, preheat oven to 375F.
- Once rolls are ready and oven is hot, remove plastic wrap and place baking dish on the center rack of your oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, brush with melted butter and top with extra salt, if desired.
- Allow to cool for 10 mintues then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling. Allow at least 20 minutes before eating, to allow the rolls to set.