Hey, hi! We’re back with more cooking basics with thai coconut red curry sauce!
I’m a firm believer that if you have basic knowledge of how to prep different vegetables in a way you enjoy, easy and delicious methods for preparing your preferred proteins and carbs, and a few back pocket sauce/dressing recipes, everyday cooking can be completely stress free.
For me, this thai coconut red curry sauce has been a wonder for throwing together quite a few different meals that yes, all had different flavors even with the same sauce base. It was the catalyst for a super delicious chicken and chickpea veggie curry, a massive soba salad and a marinade for chicken and there’s so many more potential ways to use it!
It takes about 10 minutes, stores in the fridge for about a week and it’s relatively inexpensive. As long as you have things like beans/proteins, veggies and grains on hand and this sauce, you have a super delicious meal with minimal effort and thought.
Here’s the ingredient run down:
We have oil (unpictured)
red curry paste
full fat coconut milk
tamari soy sauce
Also optional and unpictured: a tsp or so of peanut butter or cashew butter to help thicken it up IF your coconut milk doesn’t have a thickener in it and you want the sauce to be thicker.
So we heat the oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and saute for one minute. Add the red curry paste and stir for 1 more minute, pour in the coconut milk, brown sugar and optional nut butter. Blend it up til smooth. Pop it back in the pot and bring to a simmer. Continue stirring until it thickens to your desired consistency. Add the tamari, taste, adjust salt/tamari to your liking and that’s it!
Let it cool if you aren’t using it right away, pour it in to a lidded jar or container and pop it in the fridge for later.
It’s really not hard at all and it takes next to no time. It will also save your life if you’ve been sick and you need a good, comforting meal. Just saute some veggies, throw in some beans, add the sauce, let it simmer til’ the veggies are tender and dig in.
- 1 tsp olive, coconut or neutral oil
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp red curry paste*
- 1 13.5oz can full fat coconut milk
- ½ tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp brown sugar
- optional 1 tsp peanut or cashew butter
- salt, to taste
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and ginger along with a pinch of salt. Saute constantly for 1 minute then add curry paste. Stir constantly for 1 more minute then add coconut milk and brown sugar.
- Remove from heat, pour in to blender and blend on high until smooth. Return to pot.
- Add nut butter, if using, and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer, stirring every so often, until it has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Add tamari, taste, adjust salt and tamari to your liking.
- Allow to cool if not using immediately then store in a jar with a lid or container for up to one week in the fridge.