I haven’t had coconut cream pie in years. YEARS. Same goes for banana cream and I can’t for the life of me think of why. My all time favorite pies are 1. Pumpkin 2. Banana cream and 3. Coconut and yet I haven’t had the latter in more years than I can remember. I don’t think I even ate a single piece of pumpkin pie last year. Clearly I’m failing at life lately.
Almost every year at Easter we have carrot cake and either cheesecake or apple pie (gross gross gross) oooor a chocolate cake of some kind. We have the same appetizers and the same dinner and we rarely ever change a single thing about it.
This year we decided we needed something different. We need this pie. We have some of the carrot cake in the freezer that we’ll defrost aaand I believe there’s a no bake mini egg cheesecake on the menu as well.
To be clear: I’m not so much about the dinner as I am about the wine + cheese +crackers and desserts.
This is probably the best coconut cream pie I’ve ever had… or at least it’s the best one I can remember. It’s insanely easy to make but it’s really quite difficult to avoid eating ungodly amounts of it until you have a stomach ache. Covering it in plastic wrap and shoving it in the fridge out of sight doesn’t help, either. The only thing that helps is sharing it with everyone you can think of until it’s gone. It’s the only way.
This is pretty much it for Easter recipes this year. I have a curried coconut carrot soup comin’ at ya on Thursday just in case you guys like that sorta thing at your holiday meals but it totally isn’t an Easter recipe. It’s just something I’ve been making and loving for years and I think you should also be making and loving it for years, too.
Okay that’s all!
Cheers guys! Enjoy!
- For the Crust:
- 1¼ C graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ C melted butter
- For the Filling:
- 1½ C canned full fat coconut milk
- 1½ C half n half
- 5 egg yolks
- ¾ C sugar
- 4 TBSP cornstarch
- 1 TBSP butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ C sweetened shredded coconut
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- To top:
- 1 C heavy cream
- 2-4 tbsp icing sugar, optional
- ½ tsp vanilla extract, optional
- ⅓ C sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs and butter then press in to a 9inch pie plate. Bake on the center rack for 10 minutes and set aiside.
- Place the 1½ C plus ⅓ C shredded coconut on a baking sheet and bake on the center rack for 3-8 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Be VERY careful and know your oven: Coconut burns very easily. Keep watch over the coconut the entire time it's in the oven. Once done, set aside to cool.
- For the filling:
- Whisk together coconut milk, cream and egg yolks.
- Add sugar and cornstarch to a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk together. Slowly pour in the egg/milk/cream mixture whisking constantly.
- Bring custard to a boil then begin to stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stirring constantly. Continue to boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat then add butter, vanilla, 1½ C coconut and salt. Pour in to pie crust, cover with plastic wrap so that the plastic is touching the custard and place in the fridge to set- at least 30-45 minutes and up to overnight.
- In a stand mixer or with a handheld electric whisk, whisk until stiff peaks form. Add icing sugar and vanilla if using, whisk briefly to combine then spread over the entire custard filling. Top with toasted coconut.
- Serve chilled.
Adapted from Add A Pinch