This easy grilled naan white pizza has been my lunch/some dinners for the last week and I’m not stopping anytime soon.
I enjoy lunches that take only 5-15 minutes to make, are cheap, delicious and filling. I also enjoyed all of the pizza that I ate pretty much daily in Italy, so I decided to continue that trend since getting home. I would say I’ve done quite well to keep it up!
Making this version of naan pizza has been my favorite of all of the ones I’ve made in the last couple of weeks so I’m pretty sure I’m going to stick with it for a while.
Here’s what I do:
- Turn my bbq on to medium-high and throw as many whole wheat naans on as I want. Grill it on the top side (the side you’re going to end up putting sauce + cheese on) for 5-7 minutes or until it starts puffing up, gets a little brown(er) and hot.
2. Remove (without burning hands, though my husband says I have hands made out of titanium), flip on to a plate, top with sauce + cheese.
3. Place back on the grill for 5-7 more minutes or until cheese is all melted, the naan is puffed and the bottom is slightly, ever so slightly, crispy.
4. Top with pesto + fresh basil (if ya want/have it)
That’s it! Then obviously slice and eat.
Currently I’m using a homemade white sauce that took all of 8ish minutes to make and makes enough for 8 pizzas! 1 pizza per minute! But really, you just make the sauce and store it in the fridge, then use it whenever you make pizzas. Easy peasy.
- For the white sauce:
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp flour
- ¼ cup 18% or 10% cream*
- ¼-1/3 cup chicken broth*
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- For the pizzas:
- whole wheat (or white) naan breads
- shredded mozzarella/provolone/parm
- basil pesto
- fresh basil, optional
- To make the sauce:
- Heat the butter in a small pot over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the butter and saute for 30 seconds. Add the flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes then slowly pour in the cream and broth, whisking until smooth.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and allow to simmer, while whisking often, until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cream cheese and continue stirring until melted.
- Add the salt and pepper to your liking. Store in a glass or plastic jar with a lid for up to one week.
- For the pizzas:
- Turn your bbq on to medium-high. Add as many naans as you wish, top side down on the grill first. Allow to cook for 5-7 minutes or until the top has just started to brown/naans are puffy.
- Carefully remove from the heat, flip on to a plate so the top side is now facing up and top with sauce/cheeses of your liking.
- Place back on the grill with the cheese side up and cover with the bbq lid. Allow to cook for 5-7 additional minutes or until naans are slightly crispy on the bottom and puffy on top.
- Remove from grill, drizzle with pesto and top with fresh basil, if desired.
I usually only have mozzarella on hand so that's all I've been using on mine. It's wonderful. But it's even more wonderful with a mixture of cheeses (like fontina, provolone and parm).