A few years ago when I worked in an office as a bookkeeper (as my husbands assistant) I would walk for lunch every day. I honestly spent such a stupid amount of money every month on eating out that I don’t even want to say the total. I definitely didn’t regret it, though. I’m someone who generally wants a warm, freshly made lunch and I also needed a daily hour walk outside of the office to get my blood flowing and give me energy (and patience for Mark) for the rest of the day.
This easy veggie rice bowl was something I got almost daily. If it wasn’t some kind of stew/chili, it was this rice bowl. Jam packed with brown rice, black beans, corn, tomatoes, red peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, feta, avocado and lime. It was my absolute favorite. It also came to almost $13. Yikes.
For the last few months I’ve been craving my favorite lunch from years ago so I’ve been making my own for a fraction of the cost. It’s incredibly easy to make, filing, healthy, and oh so satisfying. If you’re like me, you can cook a big pot of rice at the beginning of the week and then just use leftovers for the rest of the week to keep assembly super quick. It also only costs about $1.60 to make (as long as I get the avocados cheap which is usually the case at our market). Price varies depending on where you get your ingredients… I’m a big fan of costco for obvious reasons. One thing that holds true, though, is no matter where you get your ingredients, it still isn’t comin’ out to $13 a bowl ;).
- 1 C cooked brown rice* see notes
- ⅓ C canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ C frozen corn
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced in to thin strips
- 1 small tomato, diced
- ½ small avocado or ¼ large, sliced in to thin strips
- ½ a fresh lime
- 1 oz feta
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add the red bell peppers. I typically don't add any oil so make sure it's nonstick, copper or cast iron. Use some oil if necessary.
- Cook the peppers, stirring only occasionally to allow them to brown a bit (but not burn!). When starting to brown, add the corn and stir well. Continue to cook until the corn begins to brown.
- Add the black beans and warm through.
- Add rice to a bowl, top with bean/corn/pepper mixture. Add diced tomato, avocado slices and crumble the feta over the entire thing.
- Squeeze the lime juice over everything, adding more juice as necessary (I like a lot!) and salt to taste.
More lunch time deliciousness you need in your life!