Every year on Halloween, as a kid, my parents would take my sister and I to Swiss Chalet for chicken, fries and worms and dirt. The worms and dirt being gummy worms, chocolate pudding and oreo cookie crumbs. It was and is a delicious tradition that Mark and I decided to continue this year.
We decided to order Swiss Chalet take out, I will remake this halloween worms and dirt pudding, and we will sit and watch scary movies while handing out chocolate to the kiddos on our street.
Once we have kids of our own, I’m sure we’ll continue to do the same. TELL ME – what are your halloween traditions?
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓-1/2 cup granulated sugar* see notes
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- heaping ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- chocolate cookie crumbs
- gummy worms
- For the pudding:
- In a medium sized saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt. Over medium-high heat, whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil while whisking often then reduce heat to medium and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Pour pudding in to a medium sized bowl then immediately cover with plastic wrap, gently pushing the plastic directly on to the pudding to remove air pockets (this will prevent a film from forming on the pudding).
- Place in the fridge and allow to chill for at least 3-4 hours or over night.
- When ready to serve, fill jars or bowls with desired amount of pudding, stick as many gummy worms in the pudding as you would like and top with chocolate cookie crumbs.
- Serve chilled.