This lazy girl creamy vegan cashew spinach pasta is perfect for a healthy, easy weeknight dinner. Comes together in under 30 minutes and uses minimal dishes.
In the mornings I like to fantasize about being this amazing human who rolls fresh pasta dough whenever we’re having pasta for dinner, who remembers to soak grains/beans/lentils the night before I’m going to use them, who makes bread and never buys it. I like to pretend that one day I’ll actually buy proper spice jars instead of leaving them in the little baggies I bought them in and that I’ll organize my flours better so that my cupboards resemble those beautiful ones on Pinterest.
In my dreams, my house is never messy, the laundry is always done and folded nicely and everyday at 5:00, Mark and I sit down to a glass of wine and bread to unwind and catch up before we eat dinner.
This almost never happens. I roll pasta out maybe once a month if I’m feeling motivated. I don’t even label my baggies of spices- I have to smell the bag to know what they are. My flours are randomly scattered (though always fresh), there is an ever growing pile of laundry that taunts me daily, I can’t be bothered to scrub that damn shower AGAIN (I’ll do it begrudgingly, I’m not gross), I make bread like, twice a month and I never remember to soak my grains or nuts. Ever. Even when I remember at night before I go to bed, I simply cannot be bothered to walk in to the kitchen to do it.
I am lazy.
This pasta is lazy girl pasta. It’s healthy, crazy delicious, super easy and FAST. We are using store bought pasta. Hell, I didn’t even go whole grain because I didn’t actually have any on hand and I couldn’t be bothered to walk to a store. We’re also boiling our cashews for 10 minutes because we’re not even pretending that any of us will think to soak them the night before. We’re throwing a bunch of handfuls of spinach in to the pot with the pasta for the last 30 seconds of boiling because we’re sooooo not dirtying another dish to wilt some spinach. We’ll blend the cashews with water, onion powder, nutiva organic buttery coconut oil (or real awesome butter if you’re not vegan), generously seasoning with salt and some pepper and then just throwing it all together in the pot, stirring until it thickens with extra pasta water if necessary. Then we’re eating. Probably right out of the pot because lazy girls don’t bother with bowls- that’s just going to be more dishes for later. We do, though, drink our white wine out of a real wine glass. We’re lazy, not ridiculous.
I encourage you to add a squeeze of lemon if you can find one hiding in your fridge and, if you’re not vegan, throw in a huge amount of high quality pecorino romano and eat!
- ¼ cup whole raw cashews
- water, to boil
- ½ cup filtered water
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt*
- 1 tsp Nutiva Organic Buttery Coconut oil, or butter if not vegan
- a squeeze of fresh lemon, optional
- pepper, to taste
- ½lb baby spinach leaves, washed
- 4 oz of your favorite pasta
- fresh basil, to serve
- In a small saucepan, boil cashews for 10 minutes then rinse and drain.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of well salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente. In the last 30 seconds, add your spinach to wilt.
- Reserve ½ cup pasta water, drain the rest. Do not rinse pasta.
- Return pasta and spinach to the pot.
- While the pasta cooks, add boiled cashews through pepper to a small blender and blend on high until completely smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Pour sauce over the pasta and spinach, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and coats the pasta. It may seem too thin at first but after 2 minutes, it will thicken right up. Add additional pasta water if sauce thickens too much.
- Serve warm with fresh basil and cheese, if not vegan.
You might also like…