I have zero interest in my oven now that the weather is getting hot again. I mentioned on Instagram that I’m trying to avoid turning my air conditioning on this year in an effort to save a few hundred dollars and in order to stick to that without dying, that means avoiding the oven at all costs… and it also involved my chopping off my hair.
So far, our bbq has been used daily for most meals which has neither of us complaining, but when it comes to snacks/desserts, I’m going all no bake/refrigerated/frozen. Enter no bake cookie dough cheesecake bars.
We take no bake vanilla cheesecake, (safe) raw cookie dough balls and cover in milk, dark or semi sweet chocolate. These no bake cookie dough cheesecake bars are a dream, especially when it’s crazy hot outside.
Enjoy, friends! I’m off to Italy on Friday for all of the gelato, pizza, pasta, wine and pastries. I guess the sites, too. So if you’re in to that, follow along on Instagram! If not, I’ll be back here with a recap when I’m home!
- FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH:
- ¼ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- FOR THE CHEESECAKE:
- 8oz brick style cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅓-1/2 cup icing sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream, skyr or greek yogurt (I used skyr)
- pinch of salt
- ¼-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE:
- 2-3oz dark or semisweet chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Make the cookie dough:
- Mix together butter and sugars either by hand or with an electric mixer, until creamy. Add salt and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, stir until just combined. Add the milk and stir until combined. Add the chocolate chips and fold in until evenly distributed.
- Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with plastic wrap then press the cookie dough evenly in to prepared pan. Place in the fridge while you make the cheesecake.
- MAKE THE CHEESECAKE:
- Combine cream cheese and icing sugar and beat with electric beaters/mixer or whisk until light and creamy. Add the sour cream/skyr/greek yogurt, vanilla and salt and whip until light and fluffy.
- Remove cookie dough from the fridge, top evenly with cheesecake layer then carefully cover with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Once the cheesecake has frozen, melt the chocolate and coconut oil. Remove cheesecake bars from the freezer, top cheesecake layer with chocolate and smooth out with a spoon or spatula. Place in the fridge, uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until the chocolate has set.
- Cover with plastic wrap then place in the freezer for at least 2-4 hours.
- To serve: lift out of the pan with the plastic wrap and remove the plastic carefully. On a cutting board, flip the bars on their side and slice down as evenly as possible. There will be some chocolate cracking!
- Serve immediately.