Three cheese cauliflower quinoa cups are perfect for on-the-go lunches or savory afternoon snacks and work GREAT for back to school lunch boxes.
I’ve been having random cravings for all the whole grains. It isn’t like I don’t regularly eat whole grains, I do, I enjoy baked oatmeal and whole grain breads/sometimes pastas or crackers, but lately I feel like my body is overwhelming me with cravings for all the grains. We’re talking grainy pancakes, my baked quinoa lasagna casserole, bran muffins, 12 grain bagels, baked oatmeal, whole wheat banana muffins, etc. I want all of the whole grains.
So here we are with three cheese cauliflower quinoa cups. I had a lot of cauliflower sitting in the bottom of my fridge that I’d forgotten about and a random 1/2 cup of dry quinoa sitting in my pantry and a lot of different cheeses in my fridge so I figured why not throw them all together?
Snacky lunches have been our preference since going to New Brunswick, where we spent basically an entire week eating snacky lunches of cheese, chips, veggies & hummus, fruit and pepperettes/jerky and these quinoa cups seemed like the perfect thing to add to our rotation.
We have cheddar, swiss, grana padano, tri color quinoa, some garlic and onion powder, an egg to hold it all together and a pile of cauliflower for some extra nutrition. All you do is mix it all together, pop it in a muffin tin, bake until the cheese is melty and slightly browned and EAT! Or stick in the fridge and grab-as-necessary – with your lunch, as a snack, in your kid’s lunch box. YOU DO YOU.
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup bite sized cauliflower florets
- 1 cup shredded cheeses of your choice + more to top
- 1 large egg, whisked
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper, to your liking
- Cook quinoa according to package directions (I prefer to cook mine in chicken broth).
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Grease a 6 cup muffin tin with butter.
- Once the quinoa is cooked and slightly cooled, add the whisked egg and stir quickly until evenly combined. Add the spices and mix well. Add the cauliflower and cheeses, add extra salt/pepper to your liking.
- Fill muffin cups with muxture, pressing down to make sure it all fits. Top with some extra cheese - my preference is grana padano/parm/asiago (one of those) and bake for 20 minutes.
- remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan. Eat right away or wrap with plastic wrap or store in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to eat.